Giving your patrons the option to purchase gift certificates directly from your website is a great way to increase revenue and boost attendance. Create and sell gift certificates online to be redeemed against your TryBooking events.
Each gift certificate will have a defined value and validity period, making it a great alternative to promotion codes for prize winners, sponsors, special offers and multi-session passes (eg. 5 film pass).
They are unique to the account they are created on, ensuring that they can only be used against events under the same account.
This article covers:
- Creating gift certificates
- Linking gift certificates to your website
- Purchasing gift certificates
- How to redeem gift certificates
To create a gift certificate:
- From the left menu, click Dashboard
- From the left menu, click Gift certificates then click Manage gift certificates
- Click Add, enter a name for your gift certificate, enter in the value, then click OK
If you are setting up the gift certificate to be the full value of a ticket type you have on sale, ensure that you include the TryBooking ticket fee in the value for the gift certificate eg. If your ticket is $20 set your gift certificate value to $20.50
- Enter in a description
- Select the validity period in months. The validity period will start on the day of purchase.
- Update the Terms and Conditions to reflect the conditions of use
- Click Save and Close
If you are selling gift certificates to be used in store rather than on your TryBooking events, consider setting up an event for this purpose. This will allow you to use the mobile scanning app to validate gift certificates presented in person.
Linking to your website for purchase
Direct traffic to your gift certificates by linking it to your website via the gift certificates URL.
To access the gift certificates URL:
- From the left menu, click Dashboard
- From the left menu, click Gift certificates then click Buy gift certificate
- Copy out the URL in the address bar
With URL copied you will be able to hyperlink to your website.
Purchasing gift certificates
There are two ways in which your patrons will be able to access your gift certificates for purchase:
- Via the gift certificate URL linked to your website (see above)
- Via the Buy Gift Certificates button at the shopping cart
The Buy Gift Certificates button at the shopping cart allows the customer to select and purchase gift certificates alongside their ticket purchase to an event.
This button will only be present should you have a gift certificate set up under Manage gift certificates
After the quantity of gift certificates has been selected, they will be prompted to add in the name of the recipient and the giver.
Upon completion of the purchase, a gift certificate will be issued.
See Gift Certificate styles for custom gift certificate styles
Gift certificates are subject to the $0.50 ticket fee and 2.5% processing fee. See Pricing
How to redeem gift certificates
Each gift certificate is provided with a unique certificate code. Once the code has been used and the value exhausted the code will expire.
To redeem, the customer will go through your event URL:
- Select the number of tickets they require, as per a regular purchase
- When they reach the shopping cart, in the Gift/Promotion code field they enter in the unique certificate code and click Apply
Once applied, the value of the gift certificate will deduct from the total transaction amount.
Should the shopping cart total be less than the value of the gift certificate, the remaining balance will stay on the gift certificate, allowing the customer to use the remaining balance for another purchase to your events.
Should the balance of the shopping cart be greater than the value of the gift certificate, the customer will need to pay for the outstanding balance.